You are doing it all wrong.
How to Heal you gut the right way.
Note: There will soon be a video with a longer explanation in the not too distant future. Keep an eye out by signing up for our newsletter.
Intestinal health is all the rage these days. In the health world anyway. I’m sure if you have read anything health related lately it has been about GI health, fixing your gut, get rid of leaky gut, curing IBS, etc. You get the idea.
All this talk about GI health is super important too. Health comes from above down, inside out. Without a healthy inside you CANNOT be healthy on the outside. GI health influences inflammation, cardiovascular health, pain, neurological health, hormonal health, immune system health, etc.
The point is: YOU CANNOT BE HEALTHY WITHOUT A HEALTHY GUT. NO WAY. NO HOW!
Every one and their mother is touting this or that supplement as the latest and greatest fix all for GI problems, and for some people those supplements may work, or even help, for a little while.
But, for the majority of people. THEY DON’T WORK.
Now let me explain. It’s not that they don’t work at all, it’s that they don’t work by themselves. There is a right way and a wrong way to fix and heal the gut. Most supplements that are being touted as a fix all may help with one stage of of healing the gut, but most people will need to go through all the stages of gut healing.
Here is a quick breakdown of how to properly heal the gut and get rid of all the intestinal discomfort and pain.
This is known in the functional medicine world as the 5 R’s of GI repair
We will cover them quickly here.
1) Remove - In this phase we are removing anything and everything that is bad. This includes bad bacteria, yeast, parasite, allergies, food sensitivities, bad habits, bad foods, and anything else that can impair GI health. Depending on the intestinal health when a patient presents for care this can last anywhere from 3 weeks to 6 months or more in a severe candida or bacterial overgrowth case.
2) Replace - In this phase we are replacing what has been missing for proper digestion to occur. This can include things as simple as chewing a certain amount of times to digestive enzymes, soluble fibers, bile acids, and HCL if stomach acids are low.
3) Reinoculate - This is the stage that most people think about when they try to heal the gut. Some people can do the the most harm in this stage as well. This is where people take mega doses of probiotics, prebiotics, FOS, heifers, yogurts, and other in attempt to put good bacteria into the system. Good intentions don’t always equate to good results. This is often the case. Without going through the other stages of GI repair there still may be high levels of dysfunction and bad bacteria levels. Many of theses supplements and foods contain things that the bad bacteria feed off of, making your symptoms worse.
4) Repair - In this stage we are repairing the intestinal walls and digestive system. We are looking to fix leaky gut, repair the microbiome (the protective layer in the intestines), and return the body to health.
5) Rebalance - In this stage of intestinal healing we are looking to restore balance to the entire body of the patient. Everything is interconnected as one system. This can entail proper exercise, stress management, not drinking or smoking, meditation, good relationships, and any other aspect of life that needs to be balanced. Often times an imbalanced system is what caused the issues to start in the first place.
There you have it. A semi-sweet breakdown of what it takes to truly repair your GI (Gastrointestinal) system from the ground up and keep it healthy.
If you need help please give us a call to schedule an appointment to get on your way to better health.
09/08/16 10:35 Filed in: gI health